Moonlit Sea Prints
Curating Japanese woodblock prints that touch the soul and imagination
Featured Woodblock Prints
New & exquisite woodblocks to add to your life
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Station Warabi; Inuyama Dosetsu, from Sixty-nine Stations of the Kisokaido$1,400.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Shinozuka Iga no Kami, from the series Japanese Heroes for the Twelve Signs of the Zodiac$450.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – The God Inari and the Hag of Hell Playing the Neck pulling Game$950.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Miracle of Masterpieces by Floating-World Matabei$650.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Popular Otsu-e Phenomenon$850.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – The Bride Changing Clothes after the Wedding Ceremony$900.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Yayoi Flower Asakusa Festival, performing the Lion Dance$1,250.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Yoshitsune Sembon Zakura$800.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Kawara no Sadaijin, 14, from One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets$350.00
- Utagawa Kuniyoshi – Kôtaikôgû no Dayû Sunzei [Toshinari], 83, from One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets$350.00
Most Requested Artists
About Moonlit Sea Prints
I see my role as being the person who finds beautiful and interesting art and introduces it to you in a way that enhances your appreciation for it.
And if that art touches your soul, I encourage you to purchase it and bring it into your life.
- Beautiful print shipped with care and attention. Excellent communication by David and I very much enjoy reading all of the excellent information he provides about the artists and Japanese Woodblock Prints.Melissa H ★★★★★
- I recently purchased two prints from Moonlit Sea and would absolutely recommend them. Photographs of the art on the website are accurate (including color rendition), they were carefully packaged for shipping and arrived quickly, and the prices are reasonable. Additionally, the website is informational and it’s clear that the proprietor is knowledgeable and cares deeply about the medium. I already have my eye on a couple of additional prints!Darwin P ★★★★★
- I've perused the site many times over the past year, keeping an eye on new prints as I've started my collection. I recently purchased two pieces and both arrived in perfect condition, well packaged and protected. David was very quick with communication and shipping. You can expect exceptional service and I will continue to be a patron of this gallery.Reese H ★★★★★
- My experience with Moonlit Sea Prints was fantastic. David Kutcher's a great guy to deal with. Very straightforward and trustworthy.Avery D ★★★★★
- Чудові картини! Японські мультики в такому стилі зараз малюють: перемалювати їхні витвори на дошку й -- ву а ля! -- пі старовину буде чудова підробка!Володимир К ★★★★★
- My daughter had inherited 3 Japanese wood-block prints c.1850 which she wanted to sell. The process of selling the pieces and arranging for shipping (from Portland OR) went extremely smoothly. David was very helpful and knowledgeable. If one is interested in purchasing or selling Japanese wood-block prints, I would highly recommend Moonlit Sea Prints.Mary O ★★★★★
- Wonderful experience. David help me select the perfect piece, to pair with one I already had. Shipping was fast. Print arrived safe. I am looking forward to getting it framed and on the wall.LA C ★★★★★
- Another beautiful ( and SEXY) gift for my BIG LOVE, my husband on his birthday. A small shunga erotic printed page ( I better not post that photo!) in perfect condition. He loves the first pair of prints I bought for him and he is going to be thrilled with this present. Art & love- what else could me need? With David at MOONLIT SEAS to help us out, we will be sharing the art and sharing the love of Japanese prints.Mariella B ★★★★★
- I just purchased my 4th print. The description online was accurate. My instructions on shipping were followed to a tee. It was packaged so it remained safe during its journey. I visited the gallery recently and was able to view all the prints in stock. Mr. Kutcher had a lovely display on his gallery walls. I hope to be able revisit again.Margaret S ★★★★★
- Thank you for this beautiful Hasui print, was as described and with very good photo’s. Fast ‘ shipping’ and a very good personal service,!!!, thanks. RonRonald B ★★★★★
- Instant response, expert insight, streamlined process; clear indications of a passionate curator of Japanese Woodblock Prints. Within an hour of my order I have a tracking number for my print with instructions on best framing practices. I will be sure to grow my collection and acquire more pieces with David being the guide. Thank you for the awesome experience!Adan V ★★★★★
- Hard to beat the excellent knowledge & great service!Tom F ★★★★★
- First review: Thank you for this email. I have reviewed the collection and have to express my disappointment in what you are selling. Basically, apart from a few basic prints bySaito Kiyoshi, you limit yourself to what I call the "pretty" prints of the shin-hanga or the old ukiyoe style. Unfortunately, there is nothing I saw from the contemporary prints of the sosaku hanga movement in the years afterwards. In short, there is nothing that … More would interest me. Nevertheless I wish to continue to receive your email with the hope that if you can acknowledge Saito's art, then maybe there is hope that one day you will bring the more challenging, stimulating and ultimately satisfying sosaku hanga prints into your portfolio as well.Second review: I recently bought a print by Junichiro Sekino because I have long wanted a good print by him. My Japanese print collection is 90 per cent contemporary sosaku hanga ("creative prints") of the 20th and 21st centuries. I have many of the well known names--Hiratsuka, Mori, Ay-O, Saito, Shinoda, et al--and also some less familiar recent names. When Moonlit Sea Prints showed me a newly acquired print I very much liked it, but chose not to get it because it had no date or title, two requirements I have long required. But it did have a number and signature. After investigation, I decided to get it and very glad I did. The quality of the printing is excellent, and the imagery of the leaves, water and stonework--taking advantage of the wood grain of the medium--is exceptional. The print was shipped to me in a hard tube and arrived without a problem. I look forward to seeing more such prints from Mr. Kutcher.Robin B ★★★★★
- I purchased two small books, Kitao Shigemasa, "Kacho Zue (birds & flowers), and Tachibana Yasukini, "Ehon Noyama Gusa" (wildflowers). Both were in gorgeous condition, more than fairly priced and above all very beautiful. Both books will feature in an article I am writing on the representation of nature in art, and in a broadcast segment on the same topic for a nationally broadcast program on public radio. I am delighted to have … More found Moonlit Sea Prints and grateful to have these two lovely works.Mark Seth L ★★★★★
- Beautiful print at a great price. Very quick delivery. I highly recommend Moonlit SeaAgnes H ★★★★★
- I recently acquired 2 prints and wanted to sell one of them. I spoke to David and after he verified the condition from the pictures I emailed, he made me a very fair price on one of them and paid me for the print without any delays or issues. He explained what to look for through the process and gave me a much better understanding of this particular type of art. Thanks David. Very good transaction. I would recommend this place to anyone looking … More to buy or sell woodblock prints. Thank you very much. ClayClay S ★★★★★
- I trusted the vendor because of his excellent communication long before my original purchase, but I was - unbeknownst to him - quite nervous about the print travelling hundreds of miles and arriving intact. My fears were unfounded. These are professionals. They deal in exquisite product, at fair prices and know that when they send it out the door. through The print arrived, well coddled in its packing, unchanged by its journey. It now warms our collective … More family heart in our home.Dorothy D ★★★★★
- Years ago, Ii give my sister two Yoshi Hoshida woodblocks that I had. She loves them and unfortunately, I had only the first two in a series of three. Since these are only sold in sets, I started looking on the internet for the third and had no luck since folks did not want to break up the set. My sister turns 75 this year and my family thought it would be a great present for her birthday.I found Moonlit Sea Prints website and started looking. … More I was surprised and in shock because they had the one I was looking for. I contacted my family and we purchased it. We are going to have it professionally framed and are looking forward to June when we give her the present.I want to say thanks to Moonlit Sea Prints for a quick response to my email, it made a world of difference. David Kutcher was very patient, knowledgeable about art work and was a pleasure to do business with. If I am looking for a rare piece of art work, I certainly contact the companyagain and I would recommend them as well.Charlene H ★★★★★
- Buying a print from Moonlit Sea was a great experience! David has a deep understanding of the work he sells, and getting to talk with him through the process of looking at different pieces was incredibly valuable.Will L ★★★★★
The website itself is a joy to use and the detail put into every listing is really impressive. I learned a lot just but browsing. The print I ordered came quickly, and in great condition.
I highly recommend working with Moonlit Sea Prints, … More and expect I’ll be back in the future.
- We bought a beautiful print for a reasonable price -- it arrived quickly and safely in the mail. Excellent service.Matthew S ★★★★★
- A few months ago, looking to add to a small collection of Japanese woodblock prints, I stumbled on the Moonlit Sea website. What a lucky find! I’ve since bought four prints, all with the expert guidance of owner David Kutcher. David made great suggestions and patiently took time to consider which prints would work well together. His enthusiasm for the art form is infectious! And the pieces all arrived quickly and safely. Can’t recommend Moonlit Sea … More strongly enough!Eric G ★★★★★
- I have long wanted to own a Ukiyo-e print and finally found a great resource in Moonlit Sea Prints. They have a great selection and the ordering/shipping process was easy. My print came quickly and it was hung on my wall within a week of ordering!Aline B ★★★★★
- I’ve used this site many times over the last year and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Print quality is excellent and delivery is speedy. I had a few issues at my end with one of the deliveries and David was in constant communication till it was in my hands.Jon W ★★★★★
- Like some others here, I had an interest in woodblock prints and stumbled onto this site. What makes Moonlit Sea special is David. His curatorial sense alone, along with his transparency and deep knowledge about the works would make it a special destination. But more than anything it’s David’s enthusiasm for the works and his desire to share that enthusiasm that keeps me coming back.Steve K ★★★★★
- I was so impressed with the level of customer service by owner David Kutcher that I recommend this site to anyone shopping for authentic, quality Japanese woodblock prints! I just bought one, Black Panther, by Toshi Yoshida, and it is exquisite! Thank you David, for your fair prices, excellent service, and speedy delivery!Charlotte R ★★★★★
- I was able to message via instagram to ask few questions. I got 2 incredibly beautiful prints. They arrived quickly with no travel damage. It was my first time purchasing from this gallery. The online descriptions were very helpful in understanding what I was looking at. I even asked for recommendations on Shin-Hanga books to learn more as I felt the owner was quite knowledgeable. I would recommend Moonlit Sea Prints.S H ★★★★★
- Working with David and Moonlit Sea has been a truly extraordinary experience. As someone who has never purchased art before, I was intimidated by the process, and honestly had negative experiences with other galleries who weren't eager to work with a "beginner."Dave K ★★★★★
David and Moonlit Sea offered the exact opposite experience. David is responsive, honest, above and beyond helpful, and demonstrates a real passion for working with people … More to learn more about this art form. Moonlit Sea hasn't just been a gallery to purchase art from, they've been a sounding board, teacher, and truly helpful resource at every juncture.
I could not recommend Moonlit Sea more, and look forward to working with them into the future.
- Our transaction with David was flawless. He helped us through the process as we were unfamiliar with some of the technology involved. He did exactly what he said he would do in a timely manner. I would feel extremely confident dealing with him on any other transaction.Petricia S ★★★★★
- The print is as beautiful as it looked on the website. I even got personal delivery (since I live in the same town)! A great experience, and I recommend David and his store highly. Thx!Patricia H ★★★★★
- David's genuine enthusiasm is a joy to share in, and the depth of knowledge he imparts -- both in person and through his website -- is incredibly helpful as well as eye-opening. As someone whose family has been collecting Japanese prints for generations, David has inspired in me a deeper appreciation for the works I already have...and, of course, a deeper appetite for MORE! :) David clearly has the highest standard and takes the upmost care … More in every aspect of his work. Thanks, Moonlit Sea Prints!Hannah G ★★★★★
- Ordered my first print from Moonlit Sea and absolutely love it. Their shipping was fast and the print was safely packaged, and I will definitely do business with them again and recommend them.Alex G ★★★★★
- David has a great website filled with wonderful prints which are fully and accurate describe. His prices are not only fair; on the whole the prints are priced correctly, which means the asking price is often lower than what you will find at other galleries (e.g., in New York City) where their overhead is higher. David is super easy to work with and he sends prints promptly, properly packaged.Daniel S ★★★★★
- I’ve ordered 2 prints from Moonlit Sea Prints. The description of each print was accurate. The conditions of the prints were accurately stated. Mr. Kutcher was responsive to my questions and requests. I was notified when the prints were shipped and they arrived well protected and in perfect condition. I hope to purchase more prints from him in the future.Margaret S ★★★★★
- My first art purchase was through Moonlit Sea and I am delighted. The items were well packed and arrived in good time.Ruth B ★★★★★
The listings accurately reflected the works, condition and pricing was in line with what the items are worth. I was impressed by one work in particular and David was able to help me understand the history, where similar works were held in galleries and how he had acquired them.
I’ll definitely come back for future purchases. Thank … More you!
- David (owner) is a pleasure to deal with and far exceeded my expectations for excellent service. He has been generous with his time in talking with me to answer my questions and to help educate me. The print arrived in a high-quality, hard-plastic sleeve for long-term protection, not just protection in transit. This was my first purchase from Moonlit Sea, and David's service and knowledge has gained my loyalty.M ★★★★★
- I've made my first ever purchase of japanese woodblock prints on Moonlit Sea Prints and I'll definitely do so again! David (the owner) is a great guy, he's super helpful to all kinds of questions and very courteous (I really hope this means the same thing as in my native language).Niklas K ★★★★★
The prints are listed with lots of details, so you definitely know what you'll get. The folios they come within are high quality and keep the prints … More safe for transport. Mine are from the 1880s, so I was quite scared of transport issues. When unpacking them and seeing the folios, my first thought was "Alright, for my next order I don't need to worry at all".
The service is great, David replies fast with all the information you want and need. I definitely recommend this website to anyone who appeciates the fascinating and stunning medium of art that woodblock prints are, from a country where the technique was brought to perfection!
- I was recently introduced to David through a trusted friend. From that initial contact, David and his agency, Moonlit Sea Prints, provided guidance and excellent follow up. The 2 Japanese woodblock prints arrived arrived last week. They were perfectly packaged and delivered promptly. David's service and communication from start to finish was excellent. I look forward to buying more art prints from his firm.Andrew T ★★★★★
- A top notch website and top notch seller. David is an honest guy whom you can trust!Gary S ★★★★★
- It was a pleasure doing business. Very trustworthy and quick purchase of my item.Kellie C ★★★★★
- I would like to recommend to everyone this excellent shop of oriental paintings, professional and caring service, and fast delivery. Thank you DavidGeorge M ★★★★★
- This was my first time buying from Moonlit Sea Prints. It was a wonderful experience: excellent price; excellent service; excellent, excellent print; and David was awesome to work with - very professional, but also very human and kind in correspondences. We all need more David experiences in our lives! I will definitely do business with Moonlit Sea prints again!Holley H ★★★★★
- Beatiful woodblock! Delivered quickly and perfectely packed. Will come back in this shop.P ★★★★★
Tank you so much 👍
- A few years back I purchased privately two prints of Hokusai 36 Views of Fugi but knew absolutely nothing about them and in my area there is no one who could tell me if these were real, fakes or reproductions.Denis B ★★★★★
So I let it go and hung them on the wall until I had a couple of friends comment that they would be interested in them and that is when I jumped into action to find out more about them.
As I read more about Hokusai and his style of art, I wondered … More it these were indeed Block prints or just Laser Prints.
I could not find anyone in my area so I entered into the expanse of the internet and found a site called "" Moonlit Sea Prints "" that dealt with Japanese prints and I thought this might be the place.
So I sat down and wrote an Email to them and was very happy to receive an Email in return the next day from David Kutcher who told me a few things to look for in these prints.
I sent back some picks of the prints and after a few more back and forth Emails I sent some pics that were the revealing to him that these were indeed Block Prints, albeit not from the 18th century but modern and great to hear that news.
From this experience with David and his patience to help me along on what to look for, these prints might still be on the wall and I would not have been informed.
This was a great lesson in the identification of block prints and would not have been possible it David did not take the time for my emails.
From this I would say to that David has a wealth of knowledge and his expertise would be a great asset in helping you with your needs.
Again I say a very big thank you to David.
Don't forget the beautiful prints he has for sale as they would be an excellent addition to dress up your walls.
- I purchased a print online through David. The item was exactly as described and shipped very quickly. It's tough buying art online and being assured of its authenticity and quality, but David definitely delivered, in addition to great communication throughout.Sam W ★★★★★
- David was great. He is super knowledgeable and always fast to reply. I found a print and knew nothing about it and he was more then happy to tell me about my find and then helped walk me through the purchasing process which was very easy. I was often slow to respond and a little flakey on when I was sending my print and despite this he was always kind and helpful. Plenty of patience. Great experience and would recomend his to anyone looking to sell … More or learn more about a print that they have.Cole D ★★★★★
- Received two exquisite prints in the mail today. Wonderful! I appreciate the sturdy pockets they were shipped in. Thanks!Curtis R ★★★★★
- Great doing business . Great prices and piecesRobert P ★★★★★
- I bought a woodblock print for the first time at this shop. It was carefully packed and shipped quickly.平 ★★★★★
- customized from a very nice ownerserviceHal F ★★★★★
- Exceptional seller ! A pleasure to do business with ! Highly recommended !S ★★★★★
Subscribe to receive emails of new and featured woodblocks
Every day we’re working to acquire new and interesting antique Japanese woodblocks from the ukiyo-e and shin hanga periods of Japanese Art. We’d like you to receive notices of our fresh inventory, delivered to your inbox.
Get 10% off for first time purchases.
Subscribe to receive our monthly newsletter for updates and specials! New subscribers receive a coupon as a thank you.